Who is Alex?
Alex is a young French cook with a passion for Japan. He is sharing Japanese vegan recipes on his blog Umami et Vegan. His recipes are created according to each season and they are adapted to French local products.
Ingredients (for 2 people):
- 400ml of water
- 200g of powdered sugar
- 2 star anise
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 vanilla pod
- 1 lemon
- 1 ripe Williams pear
- 200 ml of water
- 2 bags of Genshin coffee
- 1 tbsp. brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp. agar-agar
- 100 g of Raspberries
- 4 tsp. powdered sugar
- 1/2 tsp. lemon juice
6 to 8 unsalted roasted pistachios
Note: 2 tsp. (5 ml x 2) does not equal 1 tbsp. (15 ml)
- Peel the pear, cut it in half and remove the core with a spoon. Keep the tail on one of the pear halves for the aesthetic.
- Peel the lemon skin with a peeler.
- Cut the vanilla bean lengthwise and scrape out the seeds with a knife.
- In a small saucepan, combine water, sugar, star anise, cinnamon, lemon peel, vanilla seeds and pod. Bring to a boil, add the pear, turn down to medium/medium-high and cook at a low boil for about 10 minutes. The pear is ready when the knife goes into the flesh easily.
- Let rest the pear in the syrup for at least 12 hours in the refrigerator.
- In a small saucepan, combine the water, sugar, agar-agar and bring to a boil.
- Add the Genshin coffee bags, lower the heat to medium/medium-high and cook at a low boil for 3 minutes.
- Remove the bags and pour the liquid into 2 small square ramekins. Let rest for 2 hours in the refrigerator.
In a blender, add raspberries, sugar and lemon juice. Blend for a few seconds.
On each plate, pour the raspberry coulis, add the square of Genshin coffee jelly and half a poached pear. Sprinkle with roasted pistachio chips and serve.
- If you want to make this dessert for more people, you don’t need to multiply the amount of water and sugar for the poached pears. All you need is to cover them with water. For proportions: x ml water = ½ x g sugar (example: 500 ml water = 250 g sugar)
- To avoid oxidation on the central part of the pear, let the central part rest in the syrup with the central part down (so this part should be immersed in the syrup).
It's ready! Itadakimasu!
Get 10% discount on 供TOMO Online Shop with the code UMAMIANDVEGAN